A lot of people these days look for dairy-free alternatives to popular mainstream dishes. Leaving apart meat and fishes, cakes are one of the most sought-after food that many are looking for a plant-based or vegan version.
We The World Magazine has been contacted by a number of awesome food enthusiasts in recent weeks, and hence here goes our first recipe live from the cookbooks of Priyashree Chanda, our food contributor. She’ll be delivering our awesome veg/ vegan recipes from now on.
This recipe renders the same, plan but popular sponge cake into a vegan twist, retaining all the taste you can expect. Damn simple to make but rewarding it tastes and feels, get this cake making at home.
For vegan sponge cake you’ll need:
- Ground Sugar/ castor sugar- 1.5 Cup
- All-Purpose flour- 2 cups
- Veg oil- ½ cup
- Almond Milk- 2 cups
- Baking Powder- 1 teaspoon
- Baking Soda- 1 pinch
- Vanilla Essence- As required
- Add sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl with almond milk. Mix it well and keep it aside for a while until bubbles appear.
- Mix the all-Purpose flour and oil, keep aside.
- Add vanilla essence or extract or any other essence according to your preference in the oil-flour mix. In the case of extracts, add a little more for better flavor.
- Grease a cake tin thoroughly with oil and cut a butter paper to fit the bottom of the tin. This will help in flipping the baked goodness.
- Pour in the cake mixture and tap well until the bubbles appear.
- Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 150 degree Celsius.
- Bake the cake at 180 degree Celsius for 30 minutes.
Your Spongy Vegan Cake is ready to eat. This is the most basic and the simplest form of cake which you can make and decorate as you like. You may whip some vegan cream, and stack another layer of sponge cake, or you may simply add a lot of jam and make a cake sandwich, whatever – be creative.
What do you think about this recipe? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.