World Bank injects $100-mn into troubled northern Mozambique
Pemba, Mozambique: The World Bank approved a $100 million emergency recovery project in northern Mozambique, where a jihadist insurgency has displaced hundreds of thousands of people.
The government and the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS), which manages the project, concluded a funding agreement as part of a three-year $700 million project.
a lot of gas Since 2017, the province of Cabo Delgado has been battered by a violent jihadist insurgency led by a group known locally as al-Shabab.
On March 24, Islamic State-linked militants attacked the coastal town of Palma, killing dozens and driving more than 25,000 people from the town in a major escalation of violence.
According to Acled, a non-governmental organization, three years of violence has killed at least 2,800 people (NGO).
President Filipe Nyusi, who attended the signing ceremony in Pemba, the provincial capital, said that the agreement would help cope with a "humanitarian disaster" despite "the suffering and sorrow that has characterized the lives of Mozambicans."
He vowed that by concentrating the national agenda on growth, "together we shall overcome and conquer" the battle with extremists.
"The heart of this plan is to remove families from situations of vulnerability through socio-economic inclusion," the president said.
According to him, the government also aimed to "restore normalcy to impacted areas," where about 700,000 people had been displaced.
The project's goal is to provide social services as well as agricultural assistance and facilities such as schools and mobile hospitals.
"The funds provide an opportunity to deliver services with intensity and avoid a humanitarian toll from lost income, shelter, and a deteriorating capital," said Idah Pswarayi-Riddihough, WB director for Mozambique.
"What is significant at this moment is the humanitarian need," she told AFP.
"As a bank, we don't support humanitarian (needs)... but what is becoming so clear now ... is there is no clear line between humanitarian and development".
Rainer Frauenfeld, UNOPS Director for East and Southern Africa, told AFP that the funding "enables persistence that goes beyond the pure humanitarian assistance that has been given and will help with local growth."
Celso Correia, the Agriculture and Rural Development Minister who signed the agreement on behalf of the government, described it as a "positive dynamic."