One killed after Bangladesh police fire on Covid-19 protesters

Dhaka, Bangladesh: Police opened fire on a violent protest against coronavirus curbs in Bangladesh, killing at least one protester and critically injuring at least three others, officials said.

The incident occurred Monday in the central town of Saltha in the Faridpur district, where rumors circulated that a man was injured at a market while police were implementing Covid-19 controls as cases spiked nationwide.

Thousands of people took to the streets to express their displeasure.

According to police, one mob threw bricks at a police station, vandalized government buildings, and set fire to an officer's home and two government vehicles.

After the station was targeted, officers opened fire "in self-defense," according to a police spokesperson.

According to Suminur Rahman, Faridpur deputy chief of police, a 20-year-old Islamic student was killed, and at least seven people were wounded, including three police officers.

Three people with gunshot wounds are in critical condition, according to workers at the state-run Faridpur Medical College Hospital.

"One of them was shot in the buttocks, another in the face, and the third in both legs," Abdul Matin, an emergency room doctor, told AFP.

Also read | Bangladesh: Search for dead called off as ferry toll reach 28

The attack was carried out by members of the hardline Hefazat-e-Islam party, according to police. During protests against Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit last month, Hefazat members were involved in deadly crashes.

Bangladesh declared a seven-day nationwide lockdown on Monday after 7,087 people tested positive for coronavirus on Sunday, the highest daily number in the country's on-year Covid past.

Domestic buses, ferries, trains, and flights have all been halted, as have shops and malls. There is also a nighttime curfew in place.

Hundreds of shopkeepers protested the lockdown in the capital, Dhaka, arguing it would damage their businesses.

Share this story