NewsWHO eyes China lab 'audits' in next phase of...

WHO eyes China lab ‘audits’ in next phase of Covid origin probe

-

Geneva, Switzerland: The World Health Organization said Friday that the second stage of an investigation into the origins of coronavirus should include further studies in China and lab “audits”.

In a closed-door briefing to member states, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus proposed five priorities for the next phase of the investigation.

They included “audits of relevant laboratories and research institutions operating in the area of the initial human cases identified in December 2019”, according to a copy of his opening statement provided by WHO.

He also suggested investigators should focus on “studies prioritizing geographic areas with the earliest indication of circulation of SARS CoV-2”.

And he called for more studies of animal markets in and around the Chinese city of Wuhan, where Covid-19 was first detected.

The UN health agency has been under intensifying pressure for a new, more in-depth investigation of Covid-19’s origins.

The WHO only managed to send a team of independent, international experts to Wuhan in January, more than a year after Covid-19 first surfaced there in late 2019, to help their Chinese counterparts probe the pandemic origins.

The long-delayed report after the first phase of the investigation was published in late March but drew no firm conclusions about how the virus that causes Covid first jumped to humans.

Instead, they ranked several hypotheses according to how likely they believed they were, finding that it was most likely the virus jumped from bats to humans via an intermediate animal, while a theory involving the virus leaking from a laboratory was deemed “extremely unlikely”.

The investigation and report have faced criticism for lacking transparency and access, and for not evaluating the lab-leak theory more deeply.

Tedros, who has always maintained that all theories remained on the table, told journalists Thursday that the push to rule out the possible link to a lab leak had been “premature”.

Foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian rejected that, standing by the first mission’s conclusion that Covid-19 having escaped from a lab was “extremely unlikely”, warning that “this issue should not be politicized.”

AFP
AFP is a leading global news agency for comprehensive, verified coverage of events shaping the world.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest news

Swiss unanimously votes for same-sex union referendum

GENEVA — In Switzerland, a controversial same-sex marriage referendum has been resoundingly approved by voters of the conservative, rich Alpine...

New Covid surge overwhelms hospitals in parts of US

WASHINGTON, D.C. — According to one of the country's top health officials, the spike in coronavirus cases in the...

China wants effeminate male celebs to man up

WASHINGTON — Macho men are in and effeminate male performers are out as Beijing expands its crackdown on China's entertainment...

Billie Eilish, BTS to perform at climate change concert

Billie Eilish, BTS, and Elton John, among others, will donate their star power to Global Citizen Live on Saturday...

Google faces off EU in court over record $5.1 billion antitrust fine

This week, Google will face the European Commission in a five-day court hearing, appealing a record $5.1 billion fine...

WHO’s Covax misses 2021 target. What went wrong?

The latest supply forecast for Covax – the programme for sharing COVID-19 vaccines around the world – suggests that accelerating vaccination...

Must read

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you