Kolkata, India: US President Joe Biden ordered the declassification of so-far veiled documents regarding the dreadful 9/11 jihadist attack on New York’s World Trade Center, ahead of the 20th anniversary of what is being hailed as the worst terrorist attack in history.
As per reports, Biden’s orders will declassify the still-secret papers from the government’s investigation into the 9/11 terrorist attacks over the next six months on Friday.
Families of some of the approximately 3,000 persons slain by Al-Qaeda on September 11, 2001, have pressed Biden to act.
Two hijacked commercial airliners crashed head-on with the World Trade Center, one after the other, bringing the iconic skyscraper down to rubbles in hours. The entire world saw the horrifying coverage mouths agape.
Families of the 9/11 victims have long claimed that the classified documents could provide evidence that Saudi Arabia’s government, a close US ally, had ties to the hijackers who flew into the World Trade Center and Pentagon.
In a statement, Biden said, “Today, I signed an executive order directing the Department of Justice and other relevant agencies to oversee a declassification review of documents related to the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s September 11th investigations,”
The US President said the declassification must take place “over the next six months,” and “we must never forget the enduring pain of the families and loved ones of the 2,977 innocent people who were killed during the worst terrorist attack on America in our history.”
The announcement comes only days before the 20th anniversary of the attack, which prompted then-President George W. Bush to launch the invasion of Afghanistan, where the Taliban had been sheltering Al-leadership. Qaeda’s
This week, Biden withdrew the final US troops from Afghanistan, completing a dramatic evacuation from Kabul’s airport after the Taliban ousted the US-backed government and reclaimed power.
Victims’ families are pushing for additional information because they are suing Saudi Arabia for their culpability in the horrible attack. The families have long expressed their dissatisfaction with the large number of documents that are still unavailable, AFP reported.
According to the official 9/11 Commission, no proof exists that the Saudi government as an institution or senior Saudi officials individually funded Al-Qaeda.
Some have taken this statement as implying that unofficial or lower-ranking Saudi officials were involved. Some aspects of the study may still be classified as too confidential to be made public, AFP reported.
Biden stated in an executive order that the events in question occurred two decades ago or more, and they concern a tragic time that continues to resonate in American history.
“It is therefore critical to ensure that the United States Government maximizes transparency… except when the strongest possible reasons counsel otherwise.”