NewsBiden to overhaul Trump's China investment blacklist: report

Biden to overhaul Trump’s China investment blacklist: report

-

Washington, United States: Joe Biden intends to this week overhaul a list of Chinese firms that US investors are allowed to own shares in, as the president re-evaluates the world powers’ post-Trump relationship while maintaining pressure on Beijing.

Donald Trump prohibited Americans from buying stakes in 31 Chinese companies that were deemed to be supplying or supporting China’s military and security apparatus.

The list included major telecoms, construction, and technology firms such as China Mobile, China Telecom, video surveillance firm Hikvision, and China Railway Construction Corp.

It was among a series of measures by the White House aimed at quelling the Asian giant’s rise and which has left ties between the two severely strained.

Biden’s new order will see the Treasury Department create a list of firms that would be hit with financial penalties for their links with China’s defense and surveillance technology sectors, Bloomberg News reported without citing sources. The president is expected to sign the order this week, it added.

Previously, the sanctions and choice of targets were tied to a congressionally mandated Defense Department report.

The review came after two Chinese companies successfully challenged the order in court, and Biden said it was needed to be sure it was legally watertight and sustainable.

While the Biden administration has pledged to take a more diplomatic line with China following the upheaval of his predecessor, he has said he will keep to a strict line on several issues including defense and technology.

He is expected to keep the list largely intact, while the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control will add new firms after consulting the departments of Defense and State.

A tough line on China has rare cross-party support on Capitol Hill, with lawmakers determined to keep a lid on its growing global clout.

Republican senators Tom Cotton and Marco Rubio, alongside Democrats Gary Peters and Mark Kelly, published a bi-partisan letter earlier this week urging the administration to publish a new list.

“The US government must continue to act boldly in blocking the Chinese Communist Party’s economic predation against our industrial base,” they said.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest news

Sacrifice, exile: how Filipina Hidilyn Diaz made Olympic history

Tokyo, Japan: Triumphant weightlifter Hidilyn Diaz will now forget the years of exile, sacrifice, training, and nutrition that took...

World Bank to finance extra Covid jabs for poorer nations

Geneva, Switzerland: A new World Bank financing mechanism will allow developing countries to purchase Covid-19 vaccines collectively through the...

Record-shattering heatwaves caused by pace of warming: study

Paris, France: Heatwaves that obliterate temperature records as in western Canada last month and Siberia last year are caused...

After Covid jab, BioNTech sets sights on malaria vaccine

Frankfurt, Germany: Germany's BioNTech, which developed a coronavirus vaccine with US giant Pfizer in record time, said Monday it...

Greece will start vaccinating 12-15 yr-olds in August

Athens, Greece: Greece will open Covid-19 vaccinations to youngsters aged 12-15 in August, Health Minister Vassilis Kikilias told local...

Tunisia president sacks defense minister amid ‘coup’ fears

Tunis, Tunisia: Tunisian President Kais Saied sacked the defense minister Monday, a day after ousting the prime minister and...

Must read

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you