NewsAustralian soldier sues media over Afghan war crimes allegations

Australian soldier sues media over Afghan war crimes allegations

-

Sydney, Australia: A defamation trial opened Monday pitting one of Australia’s most decorated soldiers against three major newspapers that accused him of war crimes in Afghanistan.

Ben Roberts-Smith, a former member of Australia’s elite Special Air Services Regiment, issuing the newspapers as well as individual journalists from all three over articles from 2018 that alleged he committed murder and other atrocities while serving in Afghanistan.

The defendants, including the Sydney Morning Herald, The Canberra Times, and Melbourne’s The Age, will argue the reports were truthful, according to court documents.

Australia’s military and police are both investigating numerous war crimes alleged to have been committed by members of elite SAS soldiers in Afghanistan.

Among the witnesses for the defense are at least four Afghan villagers who are set to appear via video-link from Kabul, court documents show.

Roberts-Smith was awarded the Victoria Cross and the Medal for Gallantry for his service in Afghanistan, among Australia’s top military honors.

Also read | ‘Outrageous’ fabricated image takes Australia-China relations to new low

He is now an executive for Channel Seven television in Queensland state.

The Federal Court trial will last for eight to ten weeks, with around 60 witnesses expected to take the stand, a court official said.

Parts of the trial will likely be closed to the public, including the media, when national security matters emerge.

Australia deployed 39,000 troops over two decades as part of US and NATO-led operations against the Taliban and militant groups in Afghanistan.

Also read | Apology after Australian troops unlawfully slew 39 unarmed Afghans: report

The country will pull out its small contingent of remaining support personnel by September, in line with the planned US withdrawal.

Last year, an internal investigation into military misconduct found special forces personnel “unlawfully killed” 39 Afghan civilians and prisoners.

The report was a watershed moment for Australia’s government, which had previously attempted to suppress whistleblower reports of the alleged wrongdoing, with police even investigating reporters involved in bringing those accounts to light.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest news

Antony Blinken to make the first visit to India

Washington, United States: US Secretary of State Antony Blinken will pay his first trip since taking office to India,...

Fans honor Amy Winehouse in London decade after her death

London, United Kingdom: Fans remembered British singer Amy Winehouse on Friday, paying tribute outside her former home in the...

Intrinsic: Alphabet launches new ‘moonshot’ for robotics software

San Francisco, United States: Google's parent Alphabet unveiled a new "moonshot" project to develop software for robotics that could...

Tajikistan ready to accept 100k Afghan refugees amid Taliban uprising

Dushanbe, Tajikistan: Tajikistan said Friday it was ready to accept up to 100,000 refugees from Afghanistan, where the Taliban has...

EU approves Moderna jab for ages 12 and up

The Hauge, Netherlands: The European medicines watchdog on Friday approved the use of Moderna's coronavirus vaccine for children aged...

Colombia says attack on president was planned from Venezuela

Bogota, Venezuela: The Colombian government claimed Thursday that a recent attack on President Ivan Duque's helicopter was planned from...

Must read

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you