Hong Kong on Wednesday announced some of the strictest social distancing and public hygiene guidelines since the outbreak to battle a worryingly increasing number of COVID-19 cases in the city-state.
Leader Carrie Lam warned that the city was on the verge of a large-scale community outbreak and has urged the 7.5 million people to take the preventive measures and stay indoors, BBC reports.
The government on Wednesday banned gathering of people in numbers more than 2 (failing will incur up to $HK 5,200 penalty), indoor dining is forbidden and has made wearing masks in public places a must. some toughest measures tan by the City, Reuters notes.
“We are on the verge of a large-scale community outbreak, which may lead to a collapse of our hospital system and cost lives, especially of the elderly,” Lam said in a media briefing on Tuesday.
Worldometer data suggests the global financial hub has recorded a total of 2,885 coronavirus cases, with 23 deaths so far. According to the BBC, the city is now battling with 100 cases a day, which had an early win with the outbreak.
“In order to protect our loved ones, our healthcare staff and Hong Kong, I appeal to you to follow strictly the social distancing measures and stay at home as far as possible,” Ms Lam said.
The new strict measures will be reportedly in-effect for at least seven days. On Tuesday, 98 locally transmitted cases were recorded with a total of 102 cases on the same day.