(This post contains affiliate links; we may collect a share from the sale of the products when bought from this page)
Men and women spend fortunes on getting their skin pampered. I feel it is the consumerist system that somehow attunes one in believing only expensive products can work wonders for the skin. While growing up I have had this intense love for natural products to be included in my daily skincare routine.
I am feeling generous enough to share my tried and tested home remedies for skincare at home. Try these and feel how your skin feels pampered.
Facial skin is the most sensitive area of exposed skin. Most homemade face packs are safe to be used on most skin types. I have tried to keep it as neutral as possible. Just make sure you have the ingredients listed ready at all times.
1. Multani mitti (fullers earth) face pack
Multani mitti or fullers earth is easily available in a range of stores. Please buy pure and organic fullers earth for the purpose. Fuller’s earth is typically an oily skin buddy but works well for normal skin and dry skin too. For dry skin, you’ll just need to add more moisturizer after rinsing. Use this pack once a week and feel the impurities literally sucked out of your skin.
Buy this Multani Mitti Powder (Bentonite clay powder) for ultimate face packs – ₹175
- Mix two tablespoons of fuller’s earth with natural rose water.
- Add rose essential oil for that extra soothing effect.
- Make a thick but smooth paste.
- Add little quantities of rose water at a time to ensure the perfect consistency.
- Apply all over face and neck, leaving the eye area.
- Let dry but not crack.
- Wash off with lukewarm water for the best result.
- Spray on rose water after patting face dry.
2. Sandalwood and vegan milk (rosewater) face pack
Most Indian households have a sandalwood stick and rubbing stone. Even if you don’t have the wood, you can always get readymade sandalwood powder. Sandalwood has antimicrobial properties and antiseptic properties. It makes for a great anti-acne mask; just replace the almond milk with rosewater. Even if you don’t have acne-prone skin, this mask will deeply cleanse your face from daily impurities.
Get this 100% pure sandalwood powder for ultimate face packs and a range of other uses – ₹ 99 (+delivery charges)
Rub red and white sandalwood stick on a rubbing stone to get the desired amount for your face. You can use sandalwood powder if there is no choice but I prefer my own hand rubbed paste.
- Mix approximately two tablespoons of thick sandalwood paste with half tablespoon of any vegan milk.
- In the case of powder, mix one tablespoon with almond milk
- Don’t worry even if the paste is thin, it dries fast.
- Mix a pinch of camphor to the paste and apply all over your face.
- Let dry and wash with cool water.
- Use once or twice a week for best results
3. Cucumber, tomato, sugar and mint face pack
Cucumber and tomatoes are a household name for salads. But know that they work wonders for your skin as well. Cucumber and mint refresh your skin and tomatoes help to lighten unwanted spots from your skin and deep cleanse it. Sugar adds to the elasticity of your skin and helps to tighten it.
- Simply grind four slices of cucumber, a handful of mint leaves, and two slices of tomato.
- Stain some excess juice if it becomes too watery.
- Add one teaspoon of castor sugar.
- Cover your face with the slurry mix and let dry.
- You must lie down to let the mixture dry.
- Wash off with cold water.
4. Red lentil face mask
Little do people know of the benefits of red lentil for one’s skin. Red lentils will help with signs of aging and refresh your skin. They help to clear oil and impurities from your skin.
Buy red lentil without any colours and artificial preservative for fulfilling face packs and consumption – ₹100/ Kg
- To make this mask you need to soak the red lentil overnight.
- Grind the lentil after it is properly soaked.
- Add two teaspoons of raw almond milk to the paste and also some tomato juice if you can manage.
- Apply all over your skin and leave on until it dries.
- Wash off with cold water and feel the magical effect of the lentil on your skin.
5. Curd and gram flour pack
This is my favorite go-to face pack whenever I need an emergency fix for my tired-looking skin. Curd makes your skin soft and healthy while gram flour pulls off the dirt from the skin. If you have oily skin, skip the curd and instead use rose water and some aloe vera gel.
Get pure gram flour to make excellent face packs that give a visible glowing effect on skin and consumption – ₹48/ 500 grams
- Beat two tablespoons of curd until smooth (skip for oily skin)
- Add one tablespoon of gram flour.
- Beat with a fork until you get a nice smooth paste.
- I add a pinch of organic turmeric powder to get an instant glow on my face.
- Put one tablespoon aloe gel and five drops of rose water for oily skin
- Simply put this paste all over your face and neck and let dry.
- Wash off with lukewarm water for the best result as it will remove any excess oil from the curd.
P.S: Use only organic turmeric for the pack else you might get unwanted yellow stain on your face.
Hope these easy and healthy face packs find their way into your daily skincare routine. Men and women alike can use them. Do try and let us know your thoughts and suggestions in the comment box below.