China on Friday ordered the United States to shut down its consulate in the city of Chengdu in a tit-for-tat response to the sudden US order to shut the Chinese consulate in Houston earlier this week.
China’s response comes on Friday, shortly after it has warned the US for retaliatory action on the forced closure of the Chinese consulate in Houston, which was alleged as Beijing’s tool in the US.
“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China informed the U.S. Embassy in China of its decision to withdraw its consent for the establishment and operation of the U.S. Consulate General in Chengdu,” the Chinese foreign ministry told in a statement, Reuters report.
Earlier this week, the US State Department spokesperson, in a statement said that the move was “to protect American intellectual property and Americans’ private information,” about Houston consulate closure.
According to the US government, the Chinese consulate in Houston – the first of its kind – was a major hub for China’s surveillance on the US intellectual properties.
The Chinese foreign ministry in a statement slammed the US order by saying it breached international law and that it has “gravely harmed China-U.S. relations.”
The two of the world’s largest economies have been engaged in a trade war for a long, but recently the onset of pandemic, Hong Kong law has garnered China the ire of the US; the Trump administration has been repeatedly intolerant towards China and has lodged several measures.
“The current situation in the US-China relation is not what China desires to see,” China’s foreign ministry said in the statement, adding “and the US is responsible for all this.”