A fire broke out in the wee hours of Thursday morning at a private COVID hospital in Ahmedabad has killed 8 coronavirus patients who were too sick to escape.
At around 3 AM, 8 fire engines and 10 fire dep. ambulances arrived to fight a blaze at the 50-bed Shrey Hospital in Ahmedabad’s Navrangpura area, NDTV reports.
Reports confirm 40 patients were being treated for COVID-19 at the time the fire broke out. Five men and three women were critically injured and were admitted to the ICU, all of them passed away due to heat and smoke. None of the patients was in a position to escape.
Rs. 4 lakh has been announced for the kin of the deceased by the state government. Injured will be given a relief of Rs. 50,000 each.
Rest of the patients were rescued and shifted to another hospital. Additional chief fire officer of the Ahmedabad Fire and Emergency Services, Rajesh Bhatt told Reuters a staff wearing PPE suit caught fire and ran across the ward which spread the blaze in the whole floor.
“Saddened by the tragic hospital fire in Ahmedabad. Condolences to the bereaved families. May the injured recover soon. Spoke to CM @vijayrupanibjp Ji and Mayor @ibijalpatel Ji regarding the situation. Administration is providing all possible assistance to the affected (sic),” PM Modi wrote on Twiter, condoling the death of the patients.
Gujrat CM reportedly ordered a probe has been ordered for the fire at Shrey Hospital. As per preliminary reports, the fire broke out from the ICCU following a short circuit, Rajiv Kumar Gupta, Additional Chief Secretary, Gujarat Government confirmed ANI.