Germany draws master plan for mega vaccination centers capable of jabbing 4k people a day

Germany draws master plan for mega vaccination centers capable of jabbing 4k people a day

HIGHLIGHT

  • Six major vaccination centers capable of jabbing up to 4,000 people daily will be opened as Germany awaits approval of a coronavirus vaccine.
  • The vaccine will possibly arrive in Germany before Christmas, Chancellor Angela Markel said.
  • As per the nation’s initial plans to innoculate its populations, frontline healthcare workers would be the first to receive the jabs.
  • Germany’s announcement is a reflection of prompt government actions to manage the daunting public stunt impending, way ahead of other European nations.

KOLKATA (India) — German capital Berlin is reportedly gearing up to open six major vaccination centers capable of jabbing up to 4,000 people daily as Germany awaits approval of a coronavirus vaccine.

As per a source familiar with the project, six huge centers will be opened by mid-December, if plans are abided by, and will be a part of Germany’s strategy to effectively distribute vaccination.

Six infrastructures will be derived to make them into vaccination centers, including two airport terminals, one empty free-trade center, one ice rink, and a velodrome, where authorities are planning to administer up to 900,000 shots in the first three months after approval, Reuters reported.

The vaccine will possibly arrive in Germany before Christmas, Chancellor Angela Markel told in a separate media briefing. As per the nation’s initial plans to innoculate its populations, frontline healthcare workers would be the first to receive the jabs.

The makeshift centers will be the hub of the vaccination drill for three months, during which Germany seeks to boost the initial vaccination drive to innoculate its 83.1 million people.

Germany is one of the major European economies to have imposed additional restrictions in public movement and gathering to stem the spread of the virus as Holiday seasons arrive including Christmas.

The European superpower has over one million confirmed cases with over 15k deaths. On Friday, the Robert Koch Institute for disease control recorded more than 22,000 new daily cases pushing the cumulative total over one million.

You might also like

The project coordinator Albrecht Broemme told Reuters news agency, up to 4k people will be escorted through the makeshift vaccination centers in a way reminiscent of shoppers being ferried in and out of the IKEA shopping centers.

Germany’s announcement is a reflection of prompt government actions to manage the daunting public stunt impending.

Preparations to vaccinate appear mixed in other European nations, and some, like the US, appear to project Spring as the time to administer the jabs.

Vaccinating people for the novel coronavirus has proven to be intimidating around the world, thanks to the rigid logistical needs and very strict temperature controls and the urgency.

Germany’s model could be a flagbearer to nations, even as advance as the United States that have been at the pinnacle of public health for ages but have stumbled like a pack of cards in the COVID-19 pandemic.

Broemme also revealed the companies that will supply vaccines for the initial phase of the drive — AstraZeneca will give 20% of the vaccine and the rest 80% will be purchased from Pfizer which is made in partnership with BioNTech, the German pharma giant.

Share this story: Berlin to open mega vaccination centers capable of jabbing 4k people a day

Share this story